Saturday, September 24, 2011

Joe In Ullapool

How nice it is to wake up and go out for a walk with Hector without being clad in waterproofs from head to toe. In fact, the sun is actually SHINING - okay, it's still a bit breezy but hey, you can't have everything.

I hope the weather in Ullapool is similarly favourable up in Ullapool where my good friend, Joe Kavanagh, is riding in the Ullapool Cyclosportive today.

Joe really is an inspiration. He's something like five years older than me but by grit and determination and a real commitment to training he's become a splendid long distance cyclist.

I was with Joe when we both took part in the Mull cyclosportive. I was undertrained and not really psychologically prepared for that one and Joe finished the 45 mile course something like an hour in front of me.

Today's extravaganza sees Joe (in his Team Tiree kit, no doubt) tackling a difficult 63 (I think) mile course which I could only dream about tackling at this point in time.

I've been away from the rest of the lads in the team due to a thigh/hip injury. I'm not sure if it's muscular or a stress injury. Every time I resolve to go see the Doctor I find some excuse and don't attend. What an idiot.
The good news is that I'm losing a bit of weight during my lay-off. I discovered a great motivational website at www.loseit.com.

You input your weight and your goal and get a recommended daily calorie intake. But what's really clever about the site is that you also get to input calories you've used through exercise. So, if you do a little treadmill run the calories you've used up are deducted from the calories you've taken in in the form of food.

It sounds like a simple idea and of course nothing can substitute for will-power. But here's a fact: in the first week of using this site to monitor my calorie input/output I lost 6lbs!

I'm hoping that by the time I get back into serious training with Team Tiree the weight I've lost will have an impact on my performance.

The fact that I'm 56 in December has no bearing on training or aspiration to be physically fit. You have to be sensible of course but the idea of sedentary life-style fills me with dread.

Just look at what Joe's doing!

So, best of luck Joe! I'm rooting for you and looking forward to popping down next week to get a bit of a debrief and learn how you got on.

No comments: