Monday, March 28, 2011

Parc éolien de Tiree? Non merci!

I'm no scientist. For every convincing argument for the proposed Tiree Wind Farm Array there's an equally convincing argument against. The one thing I do know is that the scientists and men of learning I respect are all coming out against Wind Farms as a pointless and very expensive fad. It seems that if you covered the entire country with Wind Farms there still wouldn't be enough power generated to provide all our power needs. As for the benefit to the environment the building and taking down of these wind farms may actually cause more damage than they are meant to prevent.

And here's the controversial bit. Notwithstanding the terrible situation in Japan the only clean, efficient and economical way to provide our needs is by nuclear power. (I'm talking here about the country as a whole, of course. I'm not proposing a nuclear power plant on our wee island.) We've had nuclear power in the UK for nigh-on 60 years. That's right, 60 years. The technology has been developed, refined and heavily invested in. It works and it works well.

I'm not in either camp. I don't want it near Tiree and I don't want it far away from Tiree. I don't want it at all. I also don't want these things deforming our countryside either.

Like I say, I'm not an expert on this matter so don't send me comments or expect me to take part in the debate. When I sat down to write my diary this morning this was in my head, that's all.


.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon,

Interesting fact that Iberdrola (the owners of SPR) are building the new nuke in cumbria...either this is to fill future gaps in our power needs, or more likely to fill the gaps when the wind doesn't blow !

Strange times

Karl

Gordon Scott said...

I dashed this post off and didn't really check it to see if it made any sense. I'm glad you were able to make something of it, Karl. Like I said, the facts and figures and all the rocket science behind wind farm technology is beyond me and I have to depened on people I respect, such as James Lovelock. I get the feeling that futre generations are going to look back and wonder how we could have been so stupid.