Wednesday, February 17, 2010

BACK FROM GLEN NEVIS #1

Never mind about being 'back', I'm just glad I got there in the first place! The crew of the Lord of the Isles somehow got me and my car squeezed on the ferry on Saturday evening, among all the cattle trucks and trailers. I got to Oban sometime after 10 o'clock and immediately drove up to Fort William where I'd booked a bed at the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel.
The night porter was expecting me and I was registered without any delay. In the dormitory I'd been allocated there were another ten guys. All sleeping. That's Youth Hostelling for you: whatever age, people tend to be there for a specific reason. It could be climbing, hiking or sight seeing but they tend not to be the raucous boozy type.

It was a wee bit awkward getting into bed. The lights were out in the dorm so I had to get undressed and clamber into my top bunk in almost complete darkness. I was absolutely exhausted but it took ages for me to fall sleep.

The next morning, after I had breakfast, I went outside and had a little wander about the vicinity of the hostel. It was a very overcast morning and the tops of many mountains were obscured. Nevertheless, I felt very lad to be here, listening to gentle run of the river and the bird song as I had a bit of a wander.

I was sorry to have missed last night's lecture at the Nevis Centre and I really didn't have anything planned until Sunday night's film show and award presentation to Jimmy Marshall. I had a bit of a drive up the Glen but there wasn't really much to see in the gloaming so I headed in to the town and had a bit of a wander in the morning drizzle.

In the afternoon I paid a visit to the Lochaber Leisure Centre and made use of a treadmill to keep up some training while away from Tiree. I was really impressed with the facilities and recommend it to anyone visiting Fort William.

Next time I'll tell you about Sunday evening and the Jimmy Marshall event. In the meantime here are some more pictures from that cloudy Sunday.

 

  

  

 

No comments: