Friday, September 11, 2009

Tiree's Danny Lapsley: Queen's Police Medal Recipient

As you will all recall it was announced in the New Years Honours List that Danny Lapsley was to be awarded the Queen's Police Medal. The award investiture took place at the Palace of Holyrood House in Edinburgh on Tuesday 30 June 2009, and this is Danny's account of the proud day.

I was accompanied at the ceremony by Liz, my mum and my sister. We had a really wonderful time and after the medal was attached the queen spoke to me for a few minutes. She knew about Tiree and the fact that I worked here on my own for 15 years. She also asked me if all the islanders behaved themselves!! My answer, which will remain private, caused her to laugh. I originally thought she had prompts which she read prior to speaking to each individual but I have since found out that she memorises every piece of information about everyone. I found this incredible since there were 74 different award recipients including knighthoods, CBE's OBE's etc.

The only people I recognised were Sir Ian Wilmut who cloned Dolly the Sheep and Sir Tom Farmer from Quik Fit. I also spoke to Douglas MacNeilage, a retired school janitor from Tobermory who was made an MBE for services to education and the community.
The Queen's Police Medal (QPM) was introduced in May 1954 as a replacement to the King's Police Medal. It is awarded to police officers in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth for gallantry and distinguished service. I have thought long and hard over my 30 years police service and I have come to the conclusion that I must have got it for distinguished service!

The Queen's Police Medal is normally awarded to high ranking officers and only rarely to officers of the rank of constable. So to have it awarded to me makes it even more special (and surprising). Two other police officers received the QPM at the investiture, an assistant Chief Constable from Strathclyde Police and a Chief Superintendent from Lothian & Borders Police. I am allowed to use the post nominals QPM after my name but I am unlikely to use it other than to secure a table at Elephant's End.


From An Tirisdeach, with thanks.

1 comment:

Janis Cuevas said...

Hello Gordon,
I've been following you for some time now - took a while to find your blog after your break. I was at the Tyree Pottery 8 years ago today when the Twin Towers were attacked. Manuel and I will never forget that. About to drink a glass of bubbly as today is also my 20 year anniversary at UCLA. Just thinking about retirement!!