Saturday, December 06, 2008

Mountain sickness/The Defenders

I've been a bad boy. I slept late - we both did - and we missed our Saturday morning coastal walk with our friends in the walking club. What makes it worse is that it's a sunny, fresh morning.

Anyway, this is a map of the route my Everest Base Camp trek will be taking in April. Looks fairly simple, doesn't it? It's described in the KE Adventure Travel website as 'medium difficulty'. The real challenge, as I see it, is altitude. By the time we climb to Kala Patthar for the best view of Everest the group will be at 18,192 feet, or thereabouts.

Training on an island nicknamed 'the land below the waves' for the effects of altitude is, of course, impossible. The way I understand it we will be acclimatising gradually so that hopefully no one will suffer from altitude sickness (also know as acute mountain sickness). I need to study up on this so that at least I'll know what's happening to me if and when I am affected.

Talking of adventure travel, I was sorry to hear poor old Ben Fogle had been so ill. I like his Extreme Destinations show. Apparently it was while recording the latest series that he got bitten by some flesh eating bug. Glad to report that he seems to be on the mend now.

In other news: it looks like The Defenders comeback gig will be on January 2nd, 2009. At least I think this is what Bruce told me. We all want it to be so right. Rehearsing without Andy, our drummer, who is at university in Glasgow, is difficult. He should be home soon for the holidays, though, and we hope to get intensive rehearsals underway.

I'm excited and challenged by the fact that I will be playing guitar through the entire gig. Like most electric guitarists, I just can't seem to get the 'right' sound out of my amplifier just at the moment but I'm working on it. Of course, I just can't wait to strap on my new telecaster and play it in front of a live audience.

It's very difficult to get your sound together in a domestic dwelling. You never really know how things are going to sound until you are in the venue and you really crank up the volume and make some noise.

2 comments:

Drusy said...

Hey Gordy, off to Everest - Wow! We took the family on a trek up to Pindari Glacier a year ago in Indian Himalayas. It was a real adventure! Be VERY careful about what you eat. I got food poisoning a couple of days before we started up and it was brutal! Sickest I've ever been!

Your computer is OK now? So you can do RRT sometime now? Hope so!

Dharma Bam said...

heard you're travelling to base camp - would you need one of these?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_8207.htm