Thursday, November 20, 2008

New Things, Old Pals

This has been a week for learning new skills.  For the first time in my life I've mucked out a byre.  I've also been a joiner's apprentice.  That's on the plus side.  On the minus side, and just this very day, I've a) put towels into the washing machine while forgetting to add detergent and b) walked about on Tiree wearing a new pair of Wranglers from which I forgot to remove a sticker on the back on one leg saying what my waist and leg length is.

My reunion with my old nursing pals is scheduled for sometime at the end of the this month.  My old mate Davy emailed me with all the details tonight, minus the date when the great event is due to take place.  Urgent emails have been sent off.

Very much on the plus side is the news that I have decided - finally - to trek of Everest Base Camp sometime in April 2009.  I'll tell you all about this later.  I think it will be the main focus of my blogs for the months to come.

Rehearsals with The Defenders are going well.  As well as they can go when you consider our drummer is at University in Glasgow.  We're getting it together though and really enjoying being back together again.  I'm much more into playing guitar this time and I think this incarnation of The Defenders - a four piece this time - will be strong and powerful.  Anyway, we hope to play our comeback gig early - very early - in 2009.

Yesterday, Andy Next Door came over and laid our new kitchen floor.  What a heroic effort he put in!  Honestly, if I'd worked as hard as Andy did yesterday I'd take the rest of the week off doing anything.  The new floor looks fantastic.  Andy put in a twelve hour shift in our house and he's the kind of guy you can't offer money to.  We'll think of something..

Today I got up early and re-installed the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer.  After I dropped Jenny and Jo off to work I met up with my running buddy Fifi for a three mile walk.  Then it was back to the house to put everything else back into place, dust up yesterday's stoor and get on with the general housework.  A busy and yet a fulfilling day.

Sometimes it's enough just to have enough to do.

1 comment:

DPeach said...

...walked about on Tiree wearing a new pair of Wranglers from which I forgot to remove a sticker on the back on one leg saying what my waist and leg length is.

That is funny. In high school I had a great fear of doing that. I guess it can still happen.