Friday, October 24, 2008

Things to do before I die

When I finished the Loch Ness Marathon recently I took a seat on a bench while one of the volunteers removed the timing chip from my right running shoe.  Obviously, I am no spring chicken and when she found out it was my first marathon she said, "So, was this one to tick off the box before - "  There she halted, knowing she was about to put her foot in it.  I laughed.  "Well," I replied, "I haven't got any ideas to die any time in the near future but yes, you're right, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time."

Today I drew up a list of things I'd like to do before I die.  Probably, some of you will suggest adding 'see a psychiatrist'.  I don't know where this late-in-the-day notion for adventure has come from.  I think it's definitely got something to do with the realisation that I am, in fact, mortal and that it's time to get my skates on.

Skates. Now there's an idea.  I never did try skating ...

Here's my list:

  1. Abseil
  2. Bungie
  3. Trek to Everest
  4. Tour Europe in a camper van
  5. Walk to the top of Aonoch Mor
  6. Another Marathon or an Ultra-marathon (that’s anything over marathon distance, usually a minimum of 30 miles)
  7. Cycle 100 miles in a day
  8. Duathlon
  9. Rock Climb
  10. Sky Dive

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Your To Do's are so daring! Some of those would make my list of "Things I Never Intend to Do"...Good luck checking them off one by one!!

Kelownagirl said...

Great List Gordy! I bought my hubby a sky dive lesson for his birthday a few years ago and he loved it! So what's "Abseil"?

SLB said...

I've bagged #s 1, 2 and 6 and nearly 7 but there's no way I get #10, way to be a daring do!

dpeach said...

I am planning some great adventures in my life and hanging on for the ride. I have been able to see some incredible places and do amazing things just as part of my job. I love adventure. My wife's sense of adventure is sitting at home with her sense of survival. So we don't always have the same idea of a good time.

I had a friend who decided to give up skating when she was 86. She continued to ride her bike and drive though. Now that she is 94 her son tries to limit her wild streaks.

Krister said...

Some of them seems to be a bit dangerous. My list would be much different. Nevertheless I have to say Go For It, otherwise you regret it. Maybe you should categories them by danger and do them in the right order to be able to get through them all:) Good Luck

Owain said...

Hi Gordon,
Good to hear you completed Loch Ness, I was going to take part but didnt have the time. Will be doing Edinburgh again in 2009 though, you should sign up for that, its a really good course.

Maybe see you the next time Im back in Tiree with the TK team :)

Owain.