Wednesday, October 29, 2008

More old friends get in touch

Another surprise email last week, this time from my old friend Davy.  Davy and I attended Nursing college together and he wrote to tell me that it was now 25 years later.  He and some other folks from our class were talking about a reunion, and would I be interested in coming 'down' to Lanarkshire for it?

It took me about three seconds to decide.  Of course I would!  I am so looking forward to seeing everyone.  Nursing is one of the most challenging disciplines there is to work in and, as student nurses, we all went through a lot together.  Our experiences were exhilarating, heartbreaking in some cases and personality building.  We all went into that job as who we were and came out the other end someone else.  Hopefully, we all emerged better people.

Having said that I eventually switched from working in the NHS over to Social Work and I think it was the right decision.  Social Work suited me better and I eventually built myself a reasonable career.  And, of course, it was through working with the Social Work Department that I came to be on Tiree. 

Things have a habit of working out.  As the old Scottish saying goes, Whit's fur ye will no go by ye.

The reunion is scheduled for sometime in late November.

No comments: