Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Bizarre Coincidence

I received a nice email last weekend.  It was from a chap in Maine, in the US.

In 1974 I was a bartender at the Ceilidh Grille somewhere near Cornaigmore. The owners were Flloyd and Donniel Kennedy. Unfortunately after I left for school in late August the place burned down. Flloyd and Donniel moved to 100_2180Langbank but I heard that Donniel later moved back to Tiree, where I believe he died, perhaps during your time there.  Anyway, I was wondering if you knew Donniel, if you know the old Celildh Grille building (or ruins) and if you can fill me in on any other missing things I should know about. I enjoyed my time on Tiree and would come back if it weren't so darn far away from Maine (a direct flight would be nice).  Bruce

The bizarre thing about this is that I have lived on the site of the 'Grille' since 1994.  The rebuilt house bears no resemblance to that in which Bruce worked, it's true.  But I have it on good authority that my living room is where the dining room was situated.  I replied to Bruce immediately and boy, was he surprised when he realised that I was writing to him from the very site!

We've since had a very interesting email correspondence.  Bruce has enjoyed catching up on what's happening on Tiree and I've enjoyed his reminiscences of what Tiree was like, some 20 years before I arrived here.

No comments: