Saturday, October 20, 2007

Things to do on a slow day #52 and #53

#52: Jane's Nut, Mushroom and Tomato Bake

Recently, I began cooking.  By this I don't mean micro-waving fast food or even opening cans.  I mean cooking, taking raw food and making something of it.  To the amazement or my family and friends the stuff I've been making is edible and even tasty.

100_1666 I have the Samye-Ling cookbook to thank for this.  As this wonderful book is published by a Buddhist monastery it will come as no surprise that all the recipes are vegetarian.  The food is yummy, nevertheless, and my taste-buds are enjoying the novelty.

To tell you the truth, I find meal preparation incredibly relaxing, therapeutic, even. 

So, here's what the Scott family will be eating later on:

Jane's Nut, Mushroom and Tomato Bake.

Ingredients:

8 oz. wholemeal breadcrumbs; 8 0z. nuts (for today's meal I used mixed nuts); margarine (although I used a little olive oil instead); mixed herbs; 2 large onions; 1/2 - 3/4 lb. mushrooms; 1/2 lb fresh tomatoes.

Chop the nuts finely.  Fry them together with breadcrumbs in the margarine (or oil) until browned.  Add the herbs.  Separately fry the onions, mushrooms and tomatoes until soft.

Arrange alternate layers of mushroom mixture and nut mixture in a greased casserole dish, finishing with a layer of bread crumbs.

Bake in a moderate over for 1/2 hour.

I think there would be enough to serve 4 adults.

#53: Book tickets to see a nice men who has also shaved his head

Still on the Buddhist theme, it turns out the Dalai Lama is visiting Nottingham in May 2008.  So we have booked tickets to go hear him speak. 

A truly wonderful human being, the Dalai Lama never fails to inspire me with his unconditional love, compassion and message of peace. 

His hair is rather longer than mine at the moment, mind you.  I may have to have a word with him about this.

2 comments:

Marieke said...

Hello Gordon,

I visited Tiree last week for the first time and found your blog soon after. I'm an American living in Oban and love it here so far.

Congrats on discovering the joys of cooking--I might have to try this recipe. And thanks for the notes on your lovely island. We were hoping to buy a detailed map of the island while we were there, but the shop was closed for lunch and we never found anything else. But birds, sand, grass, and sun--wonderful!

Best wishes,
M.

Gordon Scott said...

Hello Marieke - Great to hear from you. Boy, you are well travelled indeed. I'm so pleased you like staying in bonnie Scotland. Oban is a good point to explore from. I recommend a driving tour through the Highlands as soon as you get a chance or visit some other islands, such as Skye - surely one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. gordon