Sunday, July 01, 2007

Dover Bound

Happy Canada Day.

The sun is out but I don't think it will be with us for long. Neither will the weekend. How quickly time passes if you don't make good use of it.

The highlight of this weekend was talking to my 'new' cousin Jeff via Skype. Jeff lives in Dover and in a few weeks time Jo and I will be driving down there to meet him and wife Sue. The quality of the Skype connection was brilliant. I still find it hard to believe it's absolutely free.

Jeff and I are great-grandchildren of Charles Nestor Howe. My father was called Charles Nestor Howe Scott, the son of Florence Howe, CNH's daughter. I 'googled' CNH's name one day and up came all this information. Another reminder of how truly amazing the Internet can be!

On the way down through England I'll be dropping in to see my Auntie Barbara (one of Florence's daughters) and Doris and Harry Howe, Jeff's parents. All these good folks happen to live in Suffolk, a county with which I am very familiar having visited there many times.

All in all I'll have to drive a 1200 mile round trip but I'll be doing it in stages. We have a hotel booked in Dover but on the way down we'll be doing a lot of camping. We still love to camp out, even at this time in our lives. It's got nothing to do with saving money (even though it is a much cheaper option).

Look, let me put it this way: a roll in bacon tastes totally different when you prepare and eat it in the open air. I rest my case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi gordon. Amazing the net is. Here i am camping at macgregor provincial park just south of port elgin, ontario out on a remote boulder point on the beautiful sunny, windy,cool, beautiful,915am shores of lake huron...reading your blog on my blackberry. Awesome. As you know i love camping too thanks for the 140th Canada birthday greetings. We will be watching the Southam pton fireworks from here. Have a great day. All the best in dover. Cheers. Scott Cameron