Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rubber Duckies and Eating Worms

When I first read this on the 'net I thought it must be a hoax. But no: it is all true.

Back in 1992 a consignment of bathtub toys like ducks, beavers, turtles and frogs - fell overboard from a container ship en route from China to Seattle during a storm.

And oceanographers now predict that the duckies will wash up on the shores of southwest England, Ireland and western Scotland in the summer of 2007.

The duckies have been on an incredible journey having 17,000 miles, floating over the site where the Titanic sank, landing in Hawaii and even spending years frozen in an Arctic ice pack.

The toys have now faded to white so don't just be looking out for yellow duckies or green froggies.

So keep your eyes peeled the next time you take a walk on one of our lovely Tiree beaches.

And if you do find yourself tramping through a mass of washed up rubber duckies? Don’t worry: you don’t need psychiatric help.

Well, not necessarily, at least.

I forgot to mention that while I was away on my Inverness trip with Joanne I scored a lifetime first.

I ate a worm.

Well, it wasn’t really a worm. It was in fact a moth larva.

Mescal is a Mexican spirit. Very nice it is too.

What a lot of people in this part of the world find incomprehensible – even a little repulsive – is that this fine liquid comes complete with one of these larvae floating at the bottom of the bottle.

On my way back to Tiree we stopped into Shenanigans, the Tex-Mex restaurant in Oban. We had a fine meal and after it was over someone asked me if I wanted a drink to round things off.

I asked for Tequila. Well, I’d just had a Mexican dish so it seemed sensible. Then the manager of the place asked if I’d like to try her Mescal. And if I did, would I like the worm as well?

How could I resist?

Joanne couldn’t look. Some of the others in our party squealed. My mate Iain took a picture on his phone (which I still haven’t got).

To tell you the truth, it didn’t taste of anything. A bit chewy, actually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ate a worm yuck! yuck! yuck!
yuck! yuck!

Janis Cuevas said...

Tex-Mex in Oban. Theres a thought to carry me through the day!

Gordon Scott said...

Hey Janis: you can get Tex Mex on Tiree these days as well!

Anonymous said...

We went to Shenanagins(Tex Mex) a few years ago on a visit to Oban and thought it was great. Went in yesterday and MUST be run by somenone else......the place was AWFUL!! Had to send stuff back...DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR GUTS!!