Friday, May 18, 2007

David Livingstone and the Tiree 10K

DAVID LIVINGSTONE
Not content with being mistaken for a muscle-bound Hollywood idol and a popular singer/songwriter based in Holland, I have now taken on the mantle of David Livingstone for an up-coming podcast about this famous son of Blantyre.

Just about everyone has heard about David Livingstone and his missionary work in Africa. In particular, Livingstone is remembered his campaign to rid Africa of the scourge of slavery.

Last week a Missionary to the deaf people of Mexico - a gentleman named David Peach - contacted me through a running email ring we both subscribe to and asked me for some advice on how to pronounce Livinstone’s name: was it ‘stone’ as in ‘rock’ or as in ‘stun’? Having been born and brought up in a little town in Lanarkshire which was only a ‘stone’s throw’ away from Blantyre I was able to say it would be the latter.

After I had communicated this information, David then asked if I would be interested in reading some quotes from the great man’s journals and letters for a podcast (a sort of internet radio show) he was preparing.

So last night I sat down with my script and got on with it. David seems pleased with result and I’m looking forward to hearing the finished programme. I’ll let you know more about that when it comes out.

Is there no beginning to my talent?

TIREE 10K
It’s nearly upon me. The 26th of May. The second Annual Tiree 10k run and walk. Have I trained enough? Am I ready? Definitely not, on both counts. Click on my training schedule to the left and you’ll see exactly how I’ve been ‘preparing’. Lots of running, a bit of cycling, multigym workouts … but precious little running.

The reason for that is I’ve been having a lot of pain in my right shin when running any distance. In the past few weeks the furthest I have ‘run’ has been about 3.5 miles and even then I had to stop, walk a bit, stretch and go on for another little bit.

If only the pain will stay away on race day! I’m now trying lots of different techniques in desperation, such as walking on my heels (which supposedly builds up the shins) and walking on my toes (which builds up the calves and thus supports the shins better).

I heard someone say recently that ‘running a race is 90% psychological and the other 10% is all in your head’. Come race day I can only hope the adrenaline will carry me through. To think I’ve actually booked a place in a further two officially organised races this year!

I’m really not trying to ‘beat’ anyone here. The only person I’m racing against on the 26th is myself. I only started this running lark about 14 months ago, ages 50. Last year I came in with a time of 1:06. This year, anything under an hour – even one second – would please me. But if that shin acts up I will definitely have to stop several times and stretch. That’s going to hold me back.

1 comment:

J. Scott Cameron said...

gordon you running machine, have a fantastic second tiree 10km on sunday 5.26.07 while i am en route, on the same day, to the ottawa, ontario, canada marathon which is on sunday, 5.27.07 at 7:00AM EST. this will be my 4th ottawa and my 18th marathon. all the best, your skype friend, scott j.scott.cameron

tiree 10km > http://www.run-4-it.com/webmodules/Pages/ShowEvent.aspx?Type=View&ID=3353

ottawa marathon > www.ncm.ca