Friday, May 25, 2007

Aerodynamics: Eve of the Race


Hello! Well, here I am, almost there. Tomorrow, Saturday 26 May: the second annual Tiree 10k Road Race. This old duffer has been training now for about three months. Not consistently, I have to admit. And not as hard as I should have. But now it doesn't matter because the moment of truth is approaching fast.

To make up for the lack of dedication in training I decided, this morning, that I should try to be as aerodynamic as possible. So I got out the hair clippers and took off my hair. All that remains is a stubble. I believe I may have been born with more hair on my head than there is today.

I got up fairly early today, did some stretching exercises, some strength exercises and then headed over Sandaig way to the fist mile marker. I jogged back a mile to the start and then ran back to the car at race pace. I managed the mile in 9:24, right on the money for a first mile. That lifted my spirits, a bit.

I've been tired today but not as a result of the early morning exercise. I was on a Skype conference call to fellow runners in the United States and Canada at 2 a.m. this morning. The time with them, of course, was much more civilised. It was great to talk to Steve Walker, the pod caster from Massachusetts who puts out Phedippidations. We were discussing the second annual World Wide Half Marathon, set for October. I'll tell you more about this in a few days.

Tomorrow I hope to record a 'before' and 'after' video. My aim for tomorrow isn't to 'beat' anyone except myself. Last year I came in at 01:06:00. I was a bit disappointed at the time but it was my first road race, after all, and given the fact that I decided to start running at the grand old age of 50 I don't suppose it was all that bad.

On Saturday I want to finish just under the hour. One second under the hour will do me. Please send me your positive thoughts.

There's something like 40 runners taking part this year, 30 walkers and a whole load of kids on the fun run. This is an event which is just going to get more and more popular.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

J. Scott Cameron said...

Congratulations Gordon, you veteran running! All the best for a terrific Tiree 10km Saturday. Sprint to the finish on the beaches of Crossapol. This scene would make for a great movie or has that already been done re: Chariots of Fire? Looking forward to your race video, Gordon of the Tiree 10km! Enjoy Saturday night, after the races ; )

janis cuevas said...

Good luck tomorrow Gordon. I see the weather will be a wee bit wet for the event. Looking forward to the t-shirt.

Jeffers said...

Good luck !

Drusy said...

Go!!!!!!
(So fast the rain won't catch you)

Good luck, Gordon.
Looking forward to reading about your run.