Sunday, April 01, 2007

Tales From The Sea

Last Wednesday night I took part in TALES FROM THE SE3A, a collection of sea themed shot plays. With one exception, the programme was performed and/or written by the Tiree HNC drama students.

The programme consisted of TOBY MORY AND THE BARROW OF DOOM, OBAN TO TIREE ON THE MV LORD OF THE ISLES 2007, DOWN THE CREAGAN, OBAN TO TIREE ON THE SS CYGNET 1925, THE REVENGE OF EMMY TOTT AND RIDERS TO THE SEA (the latter being the only non-original item).

Sophie Isaacson, Laura Carmichael, Kate MacCallum, John Angus MacKinnon, Jeanne Grant, Jenny Scott, Joanne Scott and I were amazed when something like 130 people turned up to see us do our stuff.

Full credit to Becky Wright, the course tutor, who kept us focussed and instilled us with enough confidence to take part in the course.

All proceeds from the evening went to the Royal National Lifeboat Institute. Almost £500 was raised.


There’s no doubt about it: I really enjoy putting on a costume and pretending to be someone else. I was delighted also to be doing something meaningful with my daughter and with my wife. I’m sure Jenny and Joanne discovered new things about themselves.

I’m a bit of an old ham, you see: playing in bands down through the years has instilled in me a familiarity with being on stage. I get nervous beforehand but perhaps not so much as other people.

Joanne, on the other hand, was petrified in the minutes leading up to the performance. It didn’t help when she considered that she got to spoke the first words in the evening’s procedings!

I was so proud of her, though: as soon as she got on stage she was away like an old pro.

The audience were so receptive: they laughed, they gasped, they applauded. And after it was all over there was no rush for them on their part to leave.

Apart from that, not a bad weekedn. Yesterday, Saturday, I cycled seven miles and walked five. Today I ran three. I seem to be running faster these days, averaging 8.5 minutes per mile. A little too fast for me, actually but still, looking good for the Tiree 10k in late May.

No comments: