Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Real Estate


Last night Joanne and I went for a drive in the late evening sunset. We took note of the many properties on sale on Tiree at the moment. One of them we want so bad it hurts. But the asking price is way beyond our means.


When I came back to the house I went online and looked at the various houses for sale. Of the five properties I looked at only one of them was under £250,000. That's half a million U.S. dollars.


I was struck by the irony of traditional houses going for so much. What would the original owners/builders say if they could realise what their humble home was worth in this day and age?


Not that I blame anyone for selling for as much as they can get. I'd do the same. It's a seller's market.


I can only dream. The lottery might come up this weekend. If it does, I know what I'm doing with £250,000 of my new found fortune.


By the way, I forgot to mention last night that my music has now been played widely in the States and also Mexico, Germany and - wait for it - Croatia. The Internet is a wonderful medium. I reckon I have now been heard by more people world-wide than I have performed before in maybe 35 years of singing and playing music.


Of course, everyone else who can pick out a tune on the guitar is doing what I'm doing. It's no big deal. Watch out for pod casts though: it's a new medium which is exploding.

2 comments:

Janis Cuevas said...

I know what you mean Gordon,
I spend some of my time perusing the "for sale" pages of various Scottish estate agents and am shocked at the current prices. However, if I win the Claifornia lottery then "Two Harvests" in Balemartine is mine!!

Lesley said...

I went to school on Tiree in the 60s/70s and you're right people would have laughed if you'd told them their houses would be worth that much.