Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wobbly Man

Ah, look at that smiling face. Doesn't he look happy, with his new 'Jog Scotland' t-shirt, presented to him just a short time before by coach Will Wright on the completion of his first set of resistance exercises?

What's not evident in this picture, taken late on Monday evening, is that my knees still had the wobbles after the workout. It's amazing what a break of two months will do to you.

There was nothing terribly difficult about Will was doing with me: lunges, press-ups, shoulder presses, that kind of stuff. But it really knocked the stuffing out of me. True, I'd come out of the bath something like 40 minutes before and that was possibly a big mistake. And true again, I hadn't had much to eat beforehand.

I was really surprised just how whacked I became half way through the session.

As everyone around here knows, however, I'd do anything for a t-shirt, even half-kill myself, all to add another to my inexhaustible supply of casual wear.

Only this piece of kit is not a cotton 't', it's made of fast-drying material, meant to be used in anger while training.

So I need to do these resistance exercises maybe three/four times a week for the next two weeks and then my young coach will check out my progress.

I'll be ready for him next time.

You may remember I told you also that Will had a look at my diet. So here's a summary of his recommendations based on my diet of the last seven days:
  • Go for wholemeal options


  • Increase carbohydrate content as you increase your training


  • You need a variety of protein sources. Increasingly important as training volume increases


  • Sparing consumption of saturated fatty foods. Swap for healthy essential fat options


  • Introduce more fruit and veg to your daily intake. Fresh and raw is the best. Think of ways to do this e.g. sandwich fillers, snacks, bowl of nuts, side portions, etc.


  • 2 litres of water per day - check you are drinking enough

I need to give this a lot of thought and a lot of planning.

The next day, Tuesday, was probably the most pleasant weather we've seen on Tiree in two months. The day was crisp and bright. So at lunchtime I took myself down to Crossapol beach for a 20 minute non-stop jog. It went very well. I kept to a very slow pace and purposely kept myself well within my former capabilities with the help of my heart rate monitor.

Of course today, Wednesday, I could hardly walk. In fact I had difficult coming down the stairs this morning. And this on the day when I was receiving several VIPs from my Council department.

Somehow I got through today and hopefully tomorrow I'll feel strong enough to really get in to my resistance exercises. impossible today.

Will tells me that it won't take me long to get back in shape. It certainly won't be a case of 'starting all over again'. And I'm actually enjoying investigating all the dietary advice he's given me.



Tonight it is rainy and windy again. I bought some new lights for Bikey. Bikey, modelled for you above by Joanne, is Brigitte's cousin. He's bigger and heavier and just the thing for winter riding. The front light has 5 LEDs and will scorch the eyes out of your head if you try looking directly into it.


I couldn't get the rear red light to work so decided to get out the screwdriver and use a little of the old Scott ingenuity to get it working. And broke it of course.

Another intense day at work coming up tomorrow. Please, please, let the weather clear a little soon. I've resigned myself to the idea that I have to go out and do some night riding but I need this weather to improve a little first of all.

By the way, Will has given me permission to reprint the 'Island Inspirations' articles here on the blog. Hopefully I will have this next time. Also I'll be telling you how the kids at Tiree High School will be monitoring.

That's going to make you laugh.

1 comment:

janis cuevas said...

Hi Gordon - its nice to see a man who will do anything for a t-shirt!
I have one for you from UCLA School of Medicine here in Los Angeles (John Holliday has the only other one on Tiree).
e-mail me your address or post code and I'll have it in the mail for you ASAP.
Could you say Hi to John and Claire for me. We made it to the isles in September but did the entire outer isles and Orkney this time around. Tiree is still my favourite though.
All the best,
Janis Cuevas
jcuevas@mednet.ucla.edu