Monday, January 15, 2007

M.I.A.

Hi folks. In case you’ve been wondering where I’ve been and why I haven’t been blogging – well, to be honest, I don’t have a good excuse. I really a little weird just after the New Year. I can’t really explain it. Increasingly, I find December a bit tiresome. I know I keep on saying this but I hate all the over indulgence and I hate myself for giving in to it so easily.

Into the bargain I think that Stewart’s sudden death really shocked me and made me want to ‘shut down’ last week. So it was really just a case of going through the motions last week.

Apart that is from the day I went over to the surgery to get my medical before I start the ‘Island Inspirations’ programme.

The Doc and Will have something like six volunteers of different ages who will adopt a healthy eating and exercise regime. At various times our progress (or otherwise) will be noted and published in An Tirisdeach.

According to the computer-monitored breath test I have the lungs of a 31 year old. Shame about the rest of me, isn’t it? Seriously though, my results weren’t too bad. My cholesterol is a little high and my Body Mass Index – the amount of fat I’m lugging about with me – is way out of order. (I haven’t done any real exercise since completing the Half Marathon in October and that’s what I think is responsible for my weight gain.) My resting heart beat of 57 made me very happy and I did something like 100 step-ups in about three minutes and fifteen seconds, recovering well from the exertion. The Doc says my blood pressure is ok for my age but I’d like to see that down a bit as well.

So tomorrow I go across to Will’s house where he will present me with the programme he has made up for me. He will also take me through some of the exercises he wants me to do.

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to reproduce the articles that appear in An Tirisdeach here on the blog. Stay tuned for that.

1 comment:

Dharma Bam said...

Hello Gordon,

I have read your posts since just before Christmas when I discovered your blog while googling for Tiree. I've applied for a job on the island and have been trying to gen up since then. I don't know if I have an interview yet.

The "Island Inspirations" programme sounds quite an interesting/motivating thing to do. The thought of everyone my progress in the local paper would certainly act as a "big stick" for me!

Apologies for my name; it's the one I use as and when I post on Celtic Quick News. My name is Iain McManus.