Friday, November 17, 2006

Next Year Beckons

Well folks I seem to have emerged from my encounter with the dreaded lurgy. I started back to work today, a little tired to be sure, but glad to be back on my feet.

I have now passed the bug on to my wife and daughter. Generous to a fault, that’s me.

I was delighted to hear from my mate over in Manitoba , Scott Cameron, that he’s started his own blog.

Scott is a remarkable chap. Mid-40’s (I think), runs like the wind. Can’t get enough of it, actually. He finished the New York Marathon (26.2 miles) in a time of 3:27.

The next day he went for a 12 mile run to loosen up.

Yeah, guys like him drive me nuts.

I have to get some goals set for 2007. First of all I have to lose some of the weight around my middle. Then I have to get back into training – for what, I don’t know. I have to do some web browsing and sign up for some events.

I’m already thinking about a few events coming off in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I had seriously given some thought to the London Marathon but I think I may be taking things too far.

As I write this I’m aware of an annoying ache in the fingers of my left hand. And the discomfort in my left knee seems to be doing something of a comeback.

But I have to do something. I feel for the first time in many years that I’m managing to do something constructive, something with meaning. I never in my wildest dreams thought I could run a 10k or a half marathon but this year I did both.

Joanne says I am much more adventurous now than when we met, 28 years ago.

And on the subject of years we still haven’t decided how to celebrate that big 25th anniversary when it comes along next July. Hopefully, it will be abroad – either France or maybe Canada. But nothing definite has been decided yet.

I had hoped last year that we could go trekking in Nepal, maybe catch sight of Mount Everest, but we abandoned that soon after Joanne had her slight stroke at the start of 2006. Even though we had decided on an ‘easy’ fairly low altitude trek ANY kind of altitude could be dangerous for her. Well, at least that’s the way it seems to me.

Never say never, however.

We’ve been rather storm lashed this past week. As far as I know the weather observations for Tiree are still off-line. That tells you how bad it’s been.

No comments: