Sunday, August 27, 2006

Brigitte et Moi

After some deliberation and consultation with friends my recently acquired Giant road bike is called Brigitte.  The short list of names also included Simone, Colette and Chantele.  Why all the French names?  Well, I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this already but I’m currently taking lessons via a pod cast put out by The French Ecole – www.frenchecole.com - and I’m actually getting somewhere.  I’ve tried to learn French before but never really stuck with it.  Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll readily admit I’m driving everyone mad with this at the moment.  If I think you have any knowledge of French at all, no matter how little, I will pounce on you and demand phrases, advice and clarification.  

Joanne and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next July and we’re toying with the idea of going on a package tour to follow The Tour of France.  But that’s not really why I’ve decided to learn the language.  I took my first lessons before we started planning our anniversary arrangements.  I just happen to think it is a beautiful language and would like to have a little knowledge of it.

Down through the years I’ve lived on Tiree I’ve tried on several occasions to learn Gaelic.  I can manage a few phrases and I suppose I can hold a very basic conversation – especially if it concerns the weather! – but I just can’t get my head around how the language works.  French, being a Latin language and one which has much in common with English, is far easier.

It is Sunday morning and I have to work a little today.  The weekend has not turned out as I had hoped, weather wise.  I was going to make a concerted effort to do a little running today and hopefully that will still happen but it has been quite windy and a little wet.  I have been quite diligent about going out on Brigitte but I have a half-marathon about 5 weeks from now and I should be further along in my training programme.  My left knee, the one I twisted a few weeks back, seems to get better for a while and then the pain returns.  I need some advice.  I want to do the run so badly!  Perhaps a knee support might do the trick?  Can anyone advise me?

My mate Will Wright is somewhere in the borders competing in the Scottish Cross Country Mountain Bike Championship.  I still hope to see him in the last event up in Aviemore but I haven’t made a firm decision yet.  

No comments: