Friday, July 21, 2006

How Ironic ...


I spent most of this week suffering from a gastric bug. Then, since mid-week, I've really been having quite a bit of pain in my left side. Something seems to have gone 'rip!' What the latter ailment means is that even if I could make it to the Show this afternoon (which I won't) I wouldn't be able to do any work when I got there. How ironic is that?

I'm supposed to be going to Coll tomorrow to play two full sets of music with The Defenders. Thankfully, the tummy bug has settled although a little queasiness remains. Maybe my insides will have returned to normal by the morning. Here's hoping.

As for the pain in my side, luckily the guitar I will be playing on Saturday is a Fender Squire, a very light guitar. So as long as I am sensible and pace myself I'll get through it and not let the band down.

I feel like such a fraud when I'm off work. A guilty feeling stalks me. I know a lot of people who feel the same. It's all to do with living in a small community. Anywhere else you might think to yourself, 'hey, the sun is out today, maybe a little slow walking might help my recovery'. But I'd feel such a fake if I was spotted by someone who knows that I'm on sick leave - and on such a small island there's more chance of meeting someone in this category than not.

Anyway, there's not been much opportunity to do any 'slow walking' in the sun. We've been mostly overcast this week. And yes, the rest of the country has been basking in a heatwave, some places in the UK even reporting their hottest temperatures ever. Things may change today, who knows? I can actually see blue sky out there.

The picture at the top of today's blog was taken in St. Andrews Church in Ampthill, Bedfordshire, during our brief stop-over there in June. Joanne can be seen in the bottom left-hand corner.

Finally, a link to a story about a dog named Quinn. Quinn is coming to Tiree to sniff for bumblebees. (Bet that got your attention.)

Next time: all about our visit to Coll.

No comments: